Training update and race update

Hi everyone What a day! After many phone calls, emails, etc etc plans are now as follows– The races are to be transferred to Perisher, Sunday Slalom and Monday GS. Times and details will be forthcoming. We are sorry that Mother Nature has dealt Thredbo such a blow, but thrilled that Perisher is anticipating being able to hold the final races. Unfortunately U10s cannot now be included as there are different specifications for that age group.This would entail a second course which at this time is not going to be manageable so we will be organising refunds for those athletes accordingly. Plans for the next couple of days Thursday– add on training will not be on ( refunds will be allocated) However Trent and Kikko will be in the gym between 10am-12pm tomorrow for some fun dryland activity, to keep those muscles limber. If you are in Thredbo join Trent and Kikko there. Friday– Included training will occur. Details re this will be advised in post tomorrow afternoon and its format will be dependent on the weather—-outdoor, indoor, video analysis, one on one time with coach,ski checking in preparation for races and will probably start at 8am movement prep. U10s as well Saturday– same as Friday, there will be included training occurring. U10s as well Saturday 1pm- We shall be having a lunch BBQ/catchup/coach-parent-athlete get together as this will be the last opportunity to all be together as a group. Fiona will need helpers-TBA Sunday Slalom Perisher Monday GS Perisher Perisher is asking whether our volunteer army will be available and I have responded that we will. Please email Geoff on the club email...

Children’s Nationals now transferred to Perisher Sunday and Monday

Perisher has volunteered to host the SSA series finals over there this weekend. They are hopeful that their available courses will withstand the current weather onslaught. At this stage the plan is for Sunday Slalom and Monday GS for U 12/U14 and U16 age groups, no U 10s and no skiercross. We are very sorry that Thredbo cannot host these races as the mountain and the committee have all put in a lot of preparation, but we are thrilled that at this stage there will be a final series and would like to thank Ali Bombardier, Tina Burford and their team at Perisher for stepping in. The logistics are yet to be sorted and we will keep you...

Potential alternatives re weekend races

Everyone We have cancelled the races at Thredbo. I believe that  there is some discussion as to whether there is any possibility that they could be held in Perisher and this possibility is being actively investigated as we speak. As soon as I know regarding that possibility- ie within the next couple of hours I shall advise you. There will be no training in Thredbo this weekend. If you are in Thredbo then we will be needing assistance with packing up – Richard will coordinate- TBA We will probably also be having a farewell get together with coaches , parents and kids for those who are there- TBA Skills assessment – TBA from SSA Training next week onwards- again TBA depending on conditions, too early to tell at the moment I’ll keep you posted...

Mother Nature defeats us. Cancellation National Children’s series

Good morning all- or not so good. Thredbo has had more than 80 mm rain since midnight, the river has broken its banks and it is 8 degrees in the village. BJ has been up the hill this morning to check on conditions. The snow cover was adequate before Mother Nature brought this deluge but now what snow was there on our race hill has been washed away, there is no hope of a freeze and there is no way that we would be able to safely run any races this weekend. With all these factors, the ROC is extremely sad to cancel the National Children’s races in Thredbo this weekend but as you are all travelling from such distances we feel we must make the call now. We were very much looking forward to a huge weekend of racing of the  best alpine athletes in the country. We shall refund the entries to you ( we will have your details on the entries) as soon as is humanly possible. As you will appreciate there are going to be approximately 200 of these to be processed so it may take a little time. This is only the second time in 15 years that the weather has defeated us ( the other time was a FIS race day) and we hope that it will be at least another 15 years before this happens again. Kind regards, and all the best for interschools finals Felicity Bidencope TSRC President...

Spring Training Opportunities

Good afternoon TSRCers, 2016 has been a bit of a tumultuous season snow and weather wise and it’s not over yet! We are constantly monitoring the forecast in anticipation of what Mother Nature is going to deliver in the lead up and over the final SSA races this weekend. In the past there has always been a sudden finish to the season as soon as the races are over. However just because this season’s races are done, doesn’t mean that the training should stop. Time on snow is critical to improving and success in the sport. If there is snow on the ground then there is the opportunity to ski and therefore keep improving. The club is offering spring camps over the next few weeks as add-on opportunities to ensure that you end your season right. Rather that finish your season on a race (good or bad) it is always beneficial to get out there again and wrap up with some good technical skiing to help bolster and solidify improvements already made this season as well as starting to address new things in preparation for the next winter. The camps have been broken into mid-week and weekend components in the hope of allowing greater participation for those still at school or those able to ski mid week. You can chose to do either or all. The first lot of camps is specifically designed as a high volume tech (GS, SL) camp as these are the disciplines we all ski in Aus, followed by a speed camp when the mountain should be relatively easy, providing an opportunity to work on...